JOB TITLE: FARM MANAGER
37 hours per week
52 weeks per year, including some weekend working
25 days annual leave
(Seasonable flexible hours as agreed with the Headteacher in conjunction with the Farm Manager)
Medway Scale C2, points 12-25 (£22,571 – £30,095)
To be based at the Cliffe Road site (Larkin Farm)
The Headteacher, who has overall responsibility for the school and /or her deputies.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
Under the direction and guidance of the Headteacher, to undertake school duties as listed below.
GENERAL DUTIES/RESPONSIBILITIES FOR ALL SCHOOL STAFF:
Safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children is employee’s responsibility. Everyone at Abbey Court School has a role to play in safeguarding pupils. In order to fulfil this responsibility, all staff should make sure their approach is always child centred. Staff will follow school policy with regard to all safeguarding matters at all times.
- To carry out school policy as documented and/or as directed by the Headteacher.
- To present the school in a positive way in the community.
- To respect the confidential nature of all information acquired in the performance of the job either verbally or in writing.
- To work in a responsible and safe manner, paying attention to all Health and Safety procedures operating within the school.
- To assist in the provision of a high quality educational experience for all children.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- To provide support to the management of the school and assist the Headteacher with promoting the use of the farm as an educational resource.
- To attend meetings as required by the line manager.
- To be the primary key holder for the farm. (This may mean being called out at any time to meet the needs of the animals and ensure site security.)
Specific (Farm Management)
- To ensure that all livestock are adequately fed, watered, cleaned out and appropriately cared for.
- To sell and purchase livestock as and when necessary.
- To cultivate and maintain crops in the horticultural plots.
- To ensure that plants in the polytunnel are watered and fed.
- To maintain all garden areas and paths and ensure that they are tidy.
- To keep all farm buildings and land clean and tidy at all times.
- To maintain all buildings, sheds, fences and machines and ensure that they are all in a good state of repair.
- To be responsible for ensuring all health and safety policy and procedures are adhered to, within the farm area.
- To ensure the safe storage of farm machinery and equipment, medicines and sprays.
- To account for any expenditure against a pre-agreed budget. To keep detailed records of financial incomings and outgoings in line with school policy.
- To ensure all animal records are maintained in accordance with the DEFRA guidelines regarding animal movement, medical administration and identification (including passports).
- To safely administer animal medicines and anthelmintics.
- To develop the farm vision and school grounds for use by students and the wider community (the school grounds are managed by site staff).
- To assist with fundraising and promotional activities for the improvement of the farm.
- To support and liaise with the Young Farmers Club. To supply livestock and activities for their use when appropriate and possible.
- To further develop community links.
- To prepare for and attend agricultural shows as required.
- To line manage the Farm Assistants and other support staff/volunteers who help with the day to day running of the farm (including preparing the working rota).
- To work as part of both farm, and whole school, teams.
- To participate in training courses as appropriate to the post.
- To participate in the school Performance Management Scheme
- To work in a safe and responsible manner paying attention to all Health & Safety procedures operating within the school.
- To implement safeguarding policies and procedures at all times.
General (Working with children)
- Contribute to the management of student behaviour and support students during learning activities. Establish and maintain relationships with individual students and groups.
- Participate in general supervision and act under the professional direction of teachers.
- Support students in accessing learning activities under the guidance of the class teacher, providing feedback to students in relation to their progress and achievement in order for students to realise their full potential.
- Timely and accurate preparation and use of specialist equipment/resources/materials/livestock as required by teaching staff, whilst creating and maintaining a purposeful, productive and safe working environment to ensure students’ learning needs are met.
- Ensure specialist equipment is maintained, checking it for quality/safety and monitor and manage stock and supplies, cataloguing as required. Demonstrate and assist others in the safe and effective use of specialist equipment/materials to ensure all are safely and effectively used.
- Contribute to the overall work/aims of the school and appreciate and support the role of colleagues and other professionals to enable the school to fulfil its development plans.
- Act as a role model and set high expectations of conduct to ensure that good behaviour is maintained.
- Be aware of, and comply with, policies and procedures relating to child protection, equal opportunities, health, safety, security, confidentiality and data protection, reporting any concerns to the appropriate person, to maintain a safe and secure learning environment for students.
- Participate in training and other learning activities as required and attend relevant meetings to ensure own continuing professional development.
- To work with teaching staff to ensure pupil safety whilst on the farm and/or working with animals, at all times.
This job description describes the way the postholder is required to complete and perform the duties set out above. These duties may be varied from time to time to meet the changing demands of the school at the discretion of the Headteacher and following consultation with you. This job description does not form part of the Contract of Employment.